About John M Stalberg MD, JD
Board Certifications, Education, Professional Experience, Clinical Experience, Areas of Specialization and other references.
Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN)
Diplomate, American Board of Forensic Psychiatry (Am Acd Psych & Law)
Physicians who are Board Certified by the ABPN (called “ABPN diplomate”), have successfully completed an approved training program and an evaluation process assessing their ability to provide quality patient care in a specialty and/or subspecialty. Forensic Psychiatry is a subspecialty that addresses medical issues with a psychiatric focus, as they relate to civil, criminal and administrative law, and involve the evaluation and specialized treatment of individuals.
For additional Board Certifications go to Licensure & Memberships.
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Biology, May 1966
State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, M.D. degree, June 1971
University of West Los Angeles School of Law, Juris Doctor (J.D.) May, 1999
- Rotating Internship, LAC/USC Medical Center, 1971-1972
- Psychiatry Residency, LAC/USC Medical Center, 1972-1975
- Fellowship in Psychiatry and Law, USC Institute of Psychiatry, Law and Behavioral Science; July 1975 – June 1976
Medical Practice and Affiliations
- Staff Psychiatrist, Los Angeles County Department of Health, Santa Monica West, Mental Health Service, 1976-1978
- Staff Psychiatrist, Metropolitan State Hospital, 1974-1977
- Physician, Los Angeles County Probation Department Central Juvenile Hall, 1973-1976
- Member, Medical Staff, St. John’s Hospital, Santa Monica, California, 1976-1993
- Member, Medical Staff, Brotman Memorial Hospital, Culver City, California, 1976-1978
- Clinical Supervision of 2nd year Psychiatry Residents in cases involving psychiatric-legal issues and problems.
- Hypnosis preceptor, USC Medical students at St. John’s Hospital, 1974-1975
- University of Southern California School of Medicine, Associate Clinical Professor, USC Institute of Psychiatry, Law and Behavioral Science, Department of Psychiatry, 1976-1984; 2012-Present
- Interviewing candidates for Psychiatry Residency Program
- Administrative Assistant to Ward Chief, Los Angeles County/USC Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, 1974-1975
- Secretary, Psychiatry Committee, St. John’s Hospital & Health Center, 1977-1980
- Treated thousands of psychiatric inpatients and outpatients.
- Examined thousands of criminal defendants in various penal facilities statewide and in Arizona. Also in England.
- Testified thousands of times in all sorts of court proceedings in most counties of California and England.
- Qualified as an expert in juvenile psychiatry, personal injury, probate, family law, competency, insanity, sexual psychopathy, drug/alcohol abuse, workers’ compensation, medical malpractice, fitness for duty, long-term disability and all other psychiatric forensic issues.
- Selected as Agreed Medical Evaluator in great majority of my workers’ compensation cases.
- Qualified as a psychiatric expert and testified at the Old Bailey in London, England, 1997.
Areas of Specialization
- General (Adult) Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychiatry (Civil and Criminal)
- Fitness for Duty
- Workers Comp
- Testamentary Capacity
- Mental Health Commitment Law
- CalPERS – California State Retirement Evaluation
Qualifed Medical Evaluator (QME) WORKERS COMP
Certified by State of California Industrial Medical Council for these areas
Bakersfield, CA 93309 — QME No: 144145
Bakersfield, CA 93301 — QME No: 170892
Cerritos, CA 90703 — QME No: 137143
City of Commerce, CA 90040 — QME No: 168115
Palmdale, CA 93551 — QME No: 170893
Panorama City, CA 91402 — QME No: 137147
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730 — QME No: 137149
Sherman Oaks, CA 91411 — QME No: 166030
Valencia, CA 91355 — QME No: 137150
Ventura, CA 93003 — QME No: 137151
Woodland Hills, CA 91367 — QME No: 137148
Licensure & Memberships
- California Board of Medical Examiners, G-23091, August 23, 1972 – present
- Member, State Bar of California, No. 232894, November 30, 2004 – present
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners (117510), July 1, 1972
- Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (15677), October 1976
- Diplomate, American Board of Forensic Psychiatry (68), February 24, 1980
- Certified Forensic Consultant, ACFEI, 2007
- Diplomate, American Board of Psychological Specialties, February 2009
- Diplomate, American Board of Forensic Examiners (104,656), February 2009
- American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (Past)
- American Psychiatric Association (Past)
- American Society of Clinical Hypnosis (Past)
- California Society of Industrial Medicine and Surgery (Current)
- American College of Forensic Examiners Institute (Current)
- CA Society of Industrial Medicine & Surgery (1983 & 1985)
- Member, U.S. District Court Psychiatric Panel, 1977 – present
- Member, Los Angeles Superior Court Psychiatric Panel, 1977 – present
- Independent Medical Examiner, Division of Industrial Accidents, 1977 – present
- Qualified Medical Examiner, Appointed 1990 – present
- Certified QME by the Industrial Medical Council, June 29, 1994. Number 904427
- Member, Los Angeles County Juvenile Court Psychiatric Panel, 1977-1982
- Consulting Psychiatrist, Southern Reception Center and Clinic, California Youth Authority, January 1975 – July 1976
- Consulting Psychiatrist, Terminal Island Federal Correctional Institution, July 1975 – March 1976
Media, Speakerships and Testimony
Media and speaking invitations welcomed.
- Television: 48 Hours (CBS), A&E, History Channel, Discovery Channel, E Channel, Discovery ID
- Workers Compensation 1 & 2: Psychiatric Perspectives (2012-13, Keck School of Medicine, USC)
- Workers Comp Defense Attorney Association (June, 2012, Las Vegas NV)
- State Bar of California 84th Annual Meeting (Sept. 17, 2011, Long Beach, CA)
- CA Society of Industrial Medicine & Surgery (1990, San Diego, CA)
Expert Witness Testimony Highlights
- Arthur Jackson Trial (convicted of attack on TV star Theresa Saldana)
- Danny Young Trial (Lost control of car in Westwood CA killing 1, injuring many)
- Sirhan B. Sirhan Parole Hearing (1983, Soledad State Prison, re Assassination of Robert Kennedy)
- Scott Pinholster Trial (Habeas Corpus, 2002; Death penalty case reversed by Supreme Court in 2011 in part based on Stalberg testimony)
- Jorik Avanesian Penalty Phase (1999; biggest mass murder in Glendale, CA history)